The Scandinavian House and the distribution company Film Europe begin the #ReadNordicFilm project which aims to present Scandinavian films connected to the region’s literature and offer an accompanying programme.
Directing films based on books or biographies of famous authors is immensely popular between the Scandinavian filmmakers. This project will, amongst other things, show how films and books have dealt with the same topics. The screenings will take place approximately once a month in Edison Filmhub cinema (and regional cinemas) and/or a virtual cinema edisonline.cz. Each of the films will be shortly introduced, so the visitor can learn not only about the film itself, but also about the corresponding literature, along with the characteristics of the said national cinematography.
In 2021, the project consists of following screenings and lectures:
July 2021: Utøya, July 22 (Utøya, 22. juli, Norway, 2018)
– 22nd July 7 pm, Edison Filmhub (Prague), short lecture by Jitka Jindřišková
– 22nd July 8 pm, Art Cinema (Brno), short lecture by Eva Dohnálková
August 2021: Here Is Harold (Her er Harold, Norway, 2014)
– short lecture by Anežka Soukupová about IKEA and the book And in the Vienna Woods the Trees Remain written by Elisabeth Åsbrink
May 2021: Pyromaniac (Pyromanen, Norway, 2016)
– short lecture by Kateřina Krištůfková about the Norwegian writer Gaute Heivoll and his translations into Czech
April 2021: Daniel (Ser du månen, Daniel, Denmark, 2019)
– short lecture by Tereza Čechová about the book The ISIS Hostage by Puk Damsgård and other Nordic books on terrorism in the name of islam
March 2021: The Grump (Mielensäpahoittaja, Finland, 2014)
– short lecture by Ema C. Stašová about the book The Grump by Tuomas Kyrö and Finnish society stereotypes
January 2021: I Am Greta (Greta, Sweden, 2020)
– in frame of the Scandi festival
– short lecture by Anežka Soukupová about Nordic climate fiction books
The short lectures (in Czech) along with the movies (in original sound with Czech subtitles) can be found in the online videotheque edisonline.cz. The fee for using the videotheque is 155 CZK per month.
#ReadNordicFilm project is organised by the Scandinavian House as a part of its literary project Nordic Literature in the Heart of Europe and with the support of Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic, Prague City Hall and Brno City Municipality.